Wednesday, August 18, 2010

The Homesick Blues.


I got homesick today...missing all my old familiar places in Seattle. When I moved here, it was like moving to a different planet. Gone is the diversity, Trader Joe's, my favorite middle eastern grocery store in Pike Place Market, bistros, wine and tapas bars, big festivals, greek and east indian restaurants, roller bladers, record stores, excellent coffee, laser light shows, the arboretum, gay friends and buildings more than four stories tall...to name just a few.

And also, since I'm thinking of going vegetarian, living in Oklahoma is about the LEAST conductive place to adopt that lifestyle. BEEF this and PORK that...and STEAKS and potatoes everywhere. Not that I wouldn't miss a big, juicy burger or other meat items that I love...I just think it would be a good choice health-wise and it is also in line with my beliefs about the meat industry in general.

But, on the up-side, there are a lot of things I like about living here. And I LOVE the simplicity. The people are awfully nice, despite the sometimes over-the-top conservatism. And I still love the land. Oh...and I love the newsroom people. They pretty much make it worthwhile to do the 8 to 5 everyday...something I didn't think I'd ever be able to enjoy. I kinda like the ad people too, by the way...and the layout people. And the press people and the delivery people. But the newsroom is the best - mostly because we're writers. And writers are a special breed.

No comments:

Post a Comment